Higher education, research and innovation for a sustainable futureSubject: Multidisciplinary05/06/18
We’re bringing European Sustainable Development Week to a close with a selection of resources prepared by the UOC Library and Globalization and Cooperation.
In 2015, world leaders took on the commitment to achieve an Agenda with 17 goals to transform the world over the next 15 years. Every year, European Sustainable Development Week (ESDW) reminds us of these great global challenges.
The UOC integrates the 2030 Agenda in its Strategic Plan (point 0302), so to mark ESDW, it has rolled out a social media campaign (#ODSUOC) to raise awareness of the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). With this and other communication, training and research actions, the UOC is calling on its community and other universities to contribute to achieving the world political agenda.
1. What are the SDGs and the 2030 Agenda?
Seventeen global goals to stimulate transformation in five areas, the so-called "5 Ps’": people, planet, prosperity, peace and partnership.
2. What role do universities play in the 2030 Agenda?
The fourth SDG is to ensure inclusive and quality education for all, and science is presented as a powerhouse of change to achieve some of these goals. This is why it is important that universities include the 2030 Agenda in their strategic policies and carry out actions that are consistent with these four areas:
- Teaching and learning. Offer educational activities following the Education for Sustainable Development (ESD) model.
- Research. Provide elements such as knowledge, experiences, solutions or technologies to achieve the goals.
- University governance. Carry out sustainable management through strategic policies, governance structures and operational decisions.
- External leadership. Become benchmarks in the field and take part in collective dialogue.
These contents will help you join in the global reflection on the role of universities in constructing a sustainable future.
3. Sustainable development networks and projects
This list offers specific examples of initiatives and association that work together for sustainable education and to promote scientific and technical expertise to achieve a sustainable future.